Important Documentation

In applying for a Health (OHIP) Card, Ontario Driver’s Licence or Social Insurance Number, you will be required to provide various documents with your application. All documents you show must be originals. You cannot use photocopies.

Health (OHIP) Card

A resident of Ontario must have a health card to show that he or she is entitled to health care services paid for by OHIP. These services include visits to a family doctor and specialists. Most basic and emergency health care services are covered by OHIP. To find out if a procedure or treatment is covered by OHIP, check with a health care professional.

To apply for a Health (OHIP) Card, you need three types of documents. You cannot use the same document twice. For example, if you use your Driver's Licence for Section 2, you cannot use it again for Section 3. You may need additional documents. For example, if you have changed your name, you may need to show a marriage certificate or a change of name certificate.

A list of the documents you will require can be found on the Settlement.Org website at

Application forms can be downloaded from

While you can apply for OHIP as soon as you have the documents you need, you generally have to live in Ontario for three months before you are eligible for coverage.

Exemptions include:

  • newborn babies born in Ontario;
  • OHIP-eligible adopted children under the age of 16;
  • protected persons (Convention Refugees and persons in need of protection); and
  • people from another province/territory who move directly into a long-term care facility in Ontario, or who require admittance into a long-term care facility within three months of arrival in Ontario.

For more information on acquiring an OHIP card, contact the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care INFOline at 1-800-664-8988.

During the waiting period, you may be able to purchase private health insurance through a private insurance company if you meet the company's eligibility requirements.

Contact a private insurance company or call the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association Inc. at 1 800 268-8099 for information.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits.

For a list of the documents required in applying for a SIN, visit the Service Canada website at

A SIN application form can be downloaded from the Service Canada website at or you can pick up an application form at your local Service Canada Centre. You can also call 1-800-622-6232 for more information.

Ontario Driver’s Licence

If you live in Ontario and want to drive, you must have an Ontario driver's licence. The application process for a driver’s licence depends on whether you are a new driver or have had a licence before. In all cases, you have to go to a Driver Examination Centre. At the centre you will need to provide the following:

  • Proof of name
  • Proof of your age / date of birth
  • A document with your signature

You have to pay a fee to apply. For more information on how to apply for a driver's licence and the documents required, contact the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) toll free in Ontario at 1-800-387-3445.

If you have an International Driver's Permit (IDP), you can use this when you first arrive in Canada. Find out more information about using an IDP in Ontario by contacting the phone number above.

Benefit and credit payments


Doing your taxes can benefit you!

Canada child Benefit

  • Up to $6,400 per year for each child under the age of 6
  • Up to $5,400 per year for each child aged 6 to 17 
  • + any related provincial/territorial payment you may be eligible for

GST/HST Credit

  • Up to $560 per year 
  • + $147 per year for each child under the age of 18
  • + any related provincial payment you may be eligible for

How do you get your payments? 

Apply for benefits and credits as soon as you get your social insurance number from Service Canada. Then, fill out the following forms and send them to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with all the required documents:

  • orm RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application 
  • Form RC66SCH, Status in Canada / Statement of Income 
  • Form RC151, GST/HST Credit Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada 

How do you continue getting your payments?

You only need to apply once to find out if you are eligible for benefit and credit payments. Then as a resident of Canada, you need to do your taxes every year, even if you have no income, to continue getting your payments. 

The CRA uses the information from your income tax and benefit return to calculate your payment amounts. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to do their taxes every year.

For further information download the pdf below: